It is a process used to control the opinion about them. Many people think that they are only judged by what they are wearing, their personality, or it might differ from one person to another. Impression management tries to control such observations, with the help of self-preservation development.
These techniques are used to restrain from external assessments. These methods include ideal ways of impression management. Self-preservation is when a person, wants the other person to distinguish him/her the same way he/she takes in oneself.
This genuineness helps a person to behave in a certain manner, regular to their personality. The idea of impression management is to help an individual. So, he/she may choose how they want to be pictured. There are the different type of branding, one of which is tactical branding.
Get excellent article about HR Management and Performance Management here.
Tactical branding is used to help an individual make a positive image as a public figure. This will help them get a personality that is suitable for outside view, of what people think a personality should be like.
There is not one thing that will help you gain management skills, there are few things that combine and make the perfect mix. What skills are needed to achieve impression management skills?
1. The major thing to concentrate is your appearance. You might be shocked to know how minor of a detail people notice. Be sure to leave out nothing, Start with your hair. Go to an expensive hairdresser, and ask him for hairstyles that suit your personality.
Try to learn them and keep them in mind. Then go to an image consultant, ask them what looks good on you and what colours go with what. Join a gym, and keep your body in shape. Also, buy expensive shoes, and keep your nails perfectly manicured. Your appearance is your first impact.
2. It is in the nature of a human to make assumptions, do not feel mocked when you go through such an event. Keep yourself confident, if people stare let them. Walk into a room filled with confident, the more people notice you the better. Make sure you have a shining personality that goes with your appearance.
3. Make sure every word that comes out of your mouth, is what you mean. Do not make false promises to impress anyone, as they will not last. Say little, but make it count as a lot, as quality is better than quantity. It does not matter if you speak lightly or loudly, if you make it worth listening, people will listen. A special tip for women, make your voice deeper, so it is more understandable.
4. Silence might be a very powerful way to communicate. Before, you start speaking; make sure that everyone is attentive. Do not start, if the people are not listening; give a short pause to gain attention.
5. Before you are about to begin, focusing on how you want things to go. Start with such a tone, that people will want you to guide them. This way you will have their full support and attention throughout.
6. Make them believe that you have a powerful personality. Majority of the people present are mentally absent, all they see is your body language and the way you speak. Only a few people will be really interested in what you are talking about. Make strong nonverbal communications, and gestures to make people clear that you are the authority.
7. When you are in a conversation with someone who is highly knowledgeable, it is normal to feel unsecure; the challenge is to not let others see that. Whenever you come across such a situation, be sure to stay calm, and ask powerful questions.
Questions that will make the next person think, it will allow you to learn more. If you are, interrupted do not stand there like a dummy. Make sure you look irritated, and cut back in at the same moment. Another tip for the women, do not smile at everything, give it out as a reward.
Read our excellent articles about People Training and Development Strategy.
8. To grab information quickly, keep an eye contact, notice the body language, and vocal tone. These things will provide you with the subtext you need, to understand better. When responding, make it purposeful and targeted.
9. Keep a pen and a small notepad with you at all times. You never know when you need to write down something important. Do not scribble down every word that is being said, that is unprofessional, and time-consuming. Note down small points or words if necessary.
10. If you think you are going to walk in, and everyone will start liking you. You are wrong, they are all your competition not your friends. To gain respect needs time, and achievements. It is not easy to be taken seriously; you need to establish your worth. When you have enough credibility to show from, people will start liking you automatically.